The FCC says the majority of Nebraska is covered with reliable, fast cell phone coverage. We know that's not the case.
According to the FCC map, only the blue areas of the state lack quality cell phone and high-speed internet coverage. NEFB questions the validity of the map.
Nebraska Farm Bureau was recently granted a waiver from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to challenge the legitimacy of coverage maps from various major cellular carriers in Nebraska.
Although phone carriers say nearly all of Nebraska is covered with reliable, fast cell phone coverage, we know that isn't true. Help us get the cell phone coverage you deserve no matter where you are in Nebraska by running speed tests throughout the state.
How to Run the Speed Test
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone or the Google Play Store on your Android device
- Search for "FCC Speed Test"
- The correct app has this icon :
- Proceed to install the app
A Valid Speed Test Must Meet These Requirements
- Run the test between 6 a.m. and midnight
- Turn off WiFi
- Make sure you are outside and away from a building or vehicle
- Enable GPS or Location Services
Run A Speed Test
- Open the FCC Speed Test app
- Click “Run Now”
- If you receive a pop-up that says, “Data Cap Exceeded” select “OK”
- If you receive a pop-up asking you enable location services, select “Allow”
- Select “All” when asked what type of test you want to run
- The test is complete when the spinning icon on the right disappears. On iPhone press “Done”. On Android press the “back” arrow
Send the Results to NEFB
- Run as many tests during the day as you want in as many locations as possible and send them all together in the evening
- On the main screen, click on the icon on the top right (iPhone: gear; Android: three dots)
- Select "Export Results" and hit "Ok" when asked to confirm that you want to export archived results
- Android Only: Be sure to send the export to email. If you have multiple email accounts connected on your phone, select the one you want to send the email from when given the choice
Support this campaign on social media using the #NEbroadband hashtag